Skip to content

About time too!

October 16, 2009

UK defeated over ‘torture documents’

By Andrew Woodcock and Mike Taylor, Press Association

Friday, 16 October 2009

The High Court today ruled that US intelligence material on former Guantanamo Bay inmate Binyam Mohamed should be made public. Foreign Secretary David Miliband immediately said he would appeal.

Mr Miliband said the Government was “deeply disappointed” by the judgment. US authorities have strongly resisted the release of the material.

The Foreign Secretary warned that the US may no longer be willing to share intelligence if it feared that it might later be disclosed on the orders of a foreign court. In a statement, he said: “The Government is deeply disappointed by the judgment handed down today by the High Court which concludes that a summary of US intelligence material should be put into the public domain against their wishes. We will be appealing in the strongest possible terms.”

In their ruling today, Lord Justice Thomas and Mr Justice Lloyd Jones said there was “overwhelming” public interest in now disclosing the seven paragraphs of material redacted from their original judgment on the Mohamed case last year.

“As the risk to national security, judged objectively on the evidence, is not a serious one, we should restore the redacted paragraphs to our first judgement,” they said.

Mr Mohamed, now 31, was still being held at Guantanamo Bay awaiting trial at the time of the court’s original judgment in August last year, but has since been released and has returned to the UK.

He is still fighting to prove that he was tortured and that the British authorities facilitated his detention and knew about the wrongdoing to which he was being subjected.

The judges have held it was clear from the fact that the UK intelligence services sought to interview Mr Mohamed during his detention and supplied information and questions for his interviews by others “that the relationship of the United Kingdom Government to the United States authorities in connection with Binyam Mohamed was far beyond that of a bystander or witness to the alleged wrongdoing”.

Mr Mohamed, an Ethiopian, was granted refugee status in Britain in 1994. He was detained in Pakistan in 2002 on suspicion of involvement in terrorism and then “rendered” to Morocco and Afghanistan.

After being subjected to alleged torture by his US captors, he was sent to Guantanamo Bay in 2004.

The Government has come under increasing pressure to allow disclosure of material which could indicate how much M15 and Government officials knew about the treatment of Mr Mohamed.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of human rights organisation Liberty, said: “The Government should be shamed by this High Court finding suggesting that secrecy is being used to prevent political embarrassment about torture rather than to protect national security.

“In particular the finding that there was “no evidential basis” for the Foreign Secretary’s assertion that (US) President (Barack) Obama was pressuring the UK should make Mr Miliband blush.

“Our courts should be gagged no longer and the crucial incriminating paragraphs published without delay. A full public inquiry into the darker side of Britain’s war on terror becomes more inevitable by the day.”

In separate pending High Court proceedings, seven former Guantanamo detainees – including Mr Mohamed – are bringing test case damages claims against MI5 and MI6, the Attorney General, the Foreign Office and the Home Office.

They allege that the security services were guilty, as part of a wider pattern of systemic misconduct, of “unlawful conduct amounting to domestic and international crimes in aiding and abetting the unlawful imprisonment, extraordinary rendition and torture” of each claimant.

Mr Mohamed claims that, in Morocco, he was severely beaten and subjected to sleep deprivation and that his genitals were cut with a scalpel.

At today’s High Court hearing, Dinah Rose QC, for Mr Mohamed, told the judges that, although there might be some dispute over the interrogation techniques used on him, “everybody knows that he was being badly abused by the CIA and they told M15 about it”.

Advertisements
One Comment leave one →
  1. October 17, 2009 11:00

    This is a real tribute to those who are fighting for human rights and their tenacity. Miliband reminds me of a lot of US Democrats who act as enablers for policies that that party is supposed to be against.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s